Friday, May 29, 2009

A busy day with the British High Commission











This week we had a visit from 16 volunteers from the British High Commission in Gaborone, and what a fun and busy day we had! The day started off with one group of volunteers and Stepping Stones Staff planting a variety of donated trees and shrubs around the grounds at the centre, while another helped lay bricks for a shelter for the security guard (an essential since the weather is starting to get particularly chilly). After the tough manual labor, staff were trained in basic first aid procedures and some computer skills. Once the kids arrived in the afternoon, the volunteers put them to work cooking a variety of different foods- cottage pie (ground beef covered in mashed potatoes and cheese), butternut squash soup, and cupcakes. Meanwhile other kids competed against each other in a quiz show. I found it really cute that one of the teams chose "Leslie" as their team name, while everyone else chose names like the Cheetahs or Elephants. All this excitement was followed by a group dance party, very entertaining to see everyone show off their moves (I've taken note and will try to be more adventurous next time I get a chance to dance). At the end of the day the High Commission donated t-shirts to all kids and staff and thanks were given all around. A busy and exciting day!
I'm gearing up to leave, just 2 weeks left in Botswana! I'm in a bit of denial about it, knowing how hard it will be to leave the kids and the many friends I've made her behind. Every day is filled with work and social tasks, making the time fly by faster than I want it to. Still, I'm looking forward to my next adventure, my travels in Tanzania and then back to the states!




No comments: