Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New faces, fun and frustrations

Returning from vacation was a bit of a shocker- readjusting to life in Mochudi, being alone as opposed to constantly around others, and getting back to work. Several problems arose with the kids from my program over the holidays- a few girls found out they were pregnant and another was abused- it was difficult to see the pain that they were going through and feel almost completely helpless. My coworkers and I have been doing what we can to help ease the strain, but there's only so much that can be done.
On a lighter note, it has been really nice to be back with the kids and starting the new year out with some great activities and new inspiration. Two new volunteers from Canada arrived recently- one was here for 3 weeks, and another will be here until April. Their energy and activity ideas have been really helpful and inspirational. We had a sports week with the kids, teaching them Jujitsu techniques and even floor hockey (thanks to the generous contribution of hockey supplies from the Canadian guy). We've also been getting extra help the kids during study time, since many are entering their final years of school (Form 5) in which they'll be required to take a final comprehensive exam that will determine whether they'll be able to attend tertiary school. It's a really intense process and very stressful, but we'll try to help them all to pass. I'm relearning some of my math and grammar skills in the process :)
At the beginning of March I'll be attending my COS- Close of Service- meetings for Peace Corps. My whole group of 50-something volunteers will meet to make final plans for leaving Botswana- it's so hard to believe my time here is almost over! I grow ever more excited thinking about the future, but it's also terrifying to think about how different my life in US will seem after this experience. Being here has changed me in so many ways, I hope that the culture shock going back will not be too overwhelming. And of course figuring out what to do next... always a daunting task. For now I will do my best to soak up as many great moments and experiences in Botswana, with the many friends I've made and the kids who have inspired and challenged me since my arrival.

No comments: