Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Quick Update

I don't have a lot of time to write, but thought I would document some of the highlights of the last few weeks. Things have been going really well at work- we have several new people working with us which has made things run more smoothly at the centre. A member of the national rugby team is designing a sports program for the kids and comes to the centre once a week to get everyone in shape- the kids really enjoy it, and even my coworkers and I get involved. Some of the kids just started doing horseback riding- the older kids had done it before, but the younger kids had never gone. I got to go with them on their first trip and they had a fantastic time. None of the kids had ever ridden a horse before and they couldn't stop smiling. It was inspiring to see them so excited about something.
For those of you who don't know I'll be participating in a sponsored walk for Y Care Charitable Trust (check them out at www.ycare.org.bw)- the proceeds of which will go to non-governmental and community-based organizations throughout Botswana which do crucial work with, among other groups, disabled and disadvantaged youth. If you are interested in helping me reach my goal of raising $1000, please email me at leslie.duling@gmail.com. Donations of any amount would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much to those who have already offered to help out:
Mom and Dad, Betsy and James, Geoffrey and Liisa, Saret, and Brooke.
I'll be posting more pictures and stories soon!

No comments: